Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Japanese large brush calligraphy

Last week was another busy one with a visit from a 20+ delegation of Japanese friends from our 'Sister City' in Tatebayashi, Gunma prefecture, Japan. The highlight was a piano concert by a young internationally renowned pianist, Yayoi, originally from Tatebayashi and trained in Vienna. Saruta san 'performed' this amazing feat of calligraphic art on the stage in time to the music.

'Dream'...4 metres+ of shoji paper,
We shared restaurant meals in Noosa, bush tucker at the Council Chambers, home made pizza in Ian's pizza oven, took our friends to local scenic spots, tourist destinations, wineries, art groups, for walks on the beach, through the rain forest and finished off with Colin James triple flavoured icecreams [Saruta san had seconds!].
...'love',
I was very fortunate to have Saruta san demonstrate on my deck to a dozen or so Buderim Calligraphic artists, then she wrote our names in Japanese characters and we all had a practice,
  
'Noela',
 
'Wabi sabi'
[the sensai or teacher uses red ink in the classroom],
 
...this is my effor at 'wabisabi',
...ready to practice,
 
...this means 'leaf',
 
 'Japan',
 
'harmony',
...and doing the 'hockey pokey' after learning how to do the hula dance - a very multi cultural finish to our visit. 

3 comments:

  1. How fun! I would love to see the brushes so I could gauge how big they are. I think I need to try a bigger brush....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Leslie, the brush was 2-3 inches thick and about 10 - 12 inches long and cost AU $3,000.
    I use a $5 house painting brush!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful to have all this calligraphy created all around you-- though I have a book and the brushes and paper and I at times tackle this art-- I know it takes more practice and effort than I give it-- your calligraphy looks very good.

    ReplyDelete