Thursday, January 6, 2011

Making clothes

Yes, I've been sewing and quite enjoying it for a change. I can never buy clothes off the rack without heaps of alterations required, so I am resigned to having to make them. I have a couple of favourite patterns and they lend themselves to lots of variations.
The top was made from a 2 layered silk skirt which I needed to patch to make the fabric go the distance. I then overdyed it with a 'black' but the fabric was beige/orange tones, so I ended up with this rather lovely sage/olive. It's cool and comfortable.
I needed some grey pants to go with several tops, so bought a long Indian cotton shift dress on the 'throw out rack' and made these pants. Again lots of patching and 'pojagi' style seams with some rather dodgy hand stitching. Love 'em - also cool and comfy, and I even managed a small pocket for the tissue and car keys.
I get great satisfaction from recycling my fabrics and making new clothes - the 'wabi sabi' factor, and the desire to save money and the planet.

7 comments:

  1. j'aime les couleurs de cette blouse tout en harmonie.. moi même ,je ne couds plus beaucoup, les magasin de tissus sont rares en suisse..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Elfie and Leslie - yes, since I let my hair go grey, my wardrobe colours have totally changed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have thrown in the towel regarding buying clothes that fit and am starting to sew my own. I will aspire to make them as lovely as this example.

    ReplyDelete
  4. N-and it looked good in the wearing - very creative. B

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so impressed Noella! An artist of many talents indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your positive comments, Paula, Barry and Robyn. I'm finding the remaking of clothes rewarding - about to tackle some old fisherman's pants. It's too wet to paint - everything is growing mould!!

    ReplyDelete